Friday 1 August 2014

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Title: Cinder

Author: Marissa Meyer

Publisher: Puffin

Blurb (from Amazon): Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth's fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She's a second - class citizen with a mysterious past, revild by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she suddenly finds herself at the centre of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world's future.

What I thought: I'd heard a lot of great things about this book on Booktube, so I was delighted when I found it in my local library the other day. After World War IV, the world is stuck by a fatal plague and on the verge of all - out war. Cyborgs, who are seen as lesser than humans, are drafted in to try and find a cure to this deadly disease.

I loved the main character Cinder. I loved her bravery. I adored the love that she had for those close to her. She is very concerned about her cyborg parts as they make her different, which reminded me of the insecurities that we all have about ourselves. She always tried to do the right thing, sometimes at the expense of her own safety and well - being.

Prince Kai was awesome. He reminded me a lot of Dorian from the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Mass, which is a huge compliment, as Dorian is one of my favourite characters in that series.

This novel is a retelling of Cinderella, and it's done brilliantly. At the start of each segment, or "book", is has excerpts from the fairytale. This isn't the story you remember, and there are many other elements of the book apart from the retelling.

I thought that the plotline of the book was quite predictable, and at times I felt like screaming the answers which seemed so obvious to me at Cinder. However, the book is still really good, and it's saying something that even though I knew what was going to happen, I kept reading for the sheer joy of it.

Rating: 8.5/10
Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment